Monday, September 13, 2010

Hard Alee

Our small niche in this big country had perfect weather a couple of weekends ago.
My daughter was home from grad school for a few days, and one of the things that she wanted to do was to go sailing. Though this is one of our family's favorite activities, it was impossible for me to go on this particular outing, but I enjoyed it vicariously nonetheless.

Happily off to the lake they went with sun screen and a picnic basket in hand. Arriving at the ramp they saw a few boats on the lake, and several still at the docks. Because many people like to come up later on holidays for moonlight cruises, it meant less boats on the lake which = fewer boats to watch out for.



















Down the ramp to the boat they went and prepared to cast off.



















Sails aloft and they were on their way.



















Among the boats on the lake were small sail boats,



















house boats (Many years ago I spent a couple of nights on a house boat. What fun - the water was literally at your feet. We cooked on the decked and cruised around under the stars at night.),


















catamarans (This type of sail boat has a double hull. When there is much wind you help keep the boat flatter on the water by standing (hiking out) on the side that is up out of the water. You wear a harness and you feel as though you are flying - if the water is not too choppy. If it is, the shade of band aids is your preference.),




















and long, sleek sail boats.
























Due to such a short visit, my daughter was allowed to be at the helm as much as she wanted.
























She has been sailing since she was a wee babe, and she still finds it necessary for these?




















Her brother helped her look out for other boats,



















and Dad just sat back and relaxed. Sometimes it is nice when the kids can take over.
Actually, I think he always has an eye on what is going on.




















Well, our young lass still had homework to tackle so it was time to sail back to the dock, take the sails down, and say goodbye to our boat.




















I hope you had a nice weekend, and found a place to sit, relax and enjoy life.

16 comments:

  1. Beautiful family and beautiful boat ! One thing I miss most about california ... we had a 28 ft O'Day ... there is not much finer than being out on the water in a sailboat.
    (())
    Francie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the tennis shoes! LOL! That's great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photos Mya! Thanks for taking all of us along for a sail!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So lovely. So very beautiful. I live right on the coast but, I never learned to sail. It seems magical to sail on water. At night under the stars I can only imagine!
    Dottie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely family and photos Maya. Sailing on the water with the warm sun on your body and the wind in your hair is so much fun.

    It is also a wonderful way to relax and meditate.

    Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. cute shoes. beautiful water and boats. i'm not a boater, but it looks fun. glad you had this special time with your family. we had company from texas and ate, laughed, got tired feet. what a blessing for me as well as yourself. your daughter is beautiful. rose

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful photos and an even more beautiful daughter. Lucky you! I've never been sailing like this before--looks like it would be so refreshing and relaxing--if you had someone do all the work for you.

    I'm just now back in London and starting to catch up from last week's holiday time. I did mention you in today's blog if you want to catch it.

    Thanks again,
    Debi

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mya, looks like a fantastic weekend!! I think the only thing that could make it even better would be to have that fluffy smiling doggie on board with you! Heehee! :) have a great week!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh perfect sailing day! Thanks so much for sharing. ;)

    PS: And I love those shoes too - what great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, what a wonderful way to spend a day...relaxing with your loved ones on the water on a stunning Autumn day....what bliss! I hope you all get to do it again soon.

    Best wishes,
    Natasha.

    PS Your daughter is lovely-great shoes too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. DEAR MYA,
    OH MY GOODNESS...I GREW UP ON THE WATER BUT IN A BASS FISHING BOAT AND DADDY WOULD TAKE THE WAKES OF THE HOUSEBOATS....WHEN WE STOPPED FOR GAS AT THE BOAT DOCK, I WOULD WALK UP AND DOWN THE DOCK LOOKING AT THE SAILBOATS AND HOUSEBOATS, VOWING ONE DAY I WOULD HAVE ONE...HASN'T HAPPENED BUT A GIRL CAN DREAM. I LOVE THE WATER SOOOO VERY MUCH.
    LOVE YOUR DAUGHTER'S SHOES AND SHE IS GORGEOUS I MIGHT ADD...NICE FAMILY....STUNNING BOAT.
    THANKS FOR BEING SO FAITHFUL TO VISIT ME. I SO APPRECIATE IT.
    HUGS
    SIMPLY DEBBIE

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mya, just tell your daughter I loved the shoes! We had big plans for sailing on Lago di Bolsena this summer which sadly did not work out so I really enjoyed this virtual trip.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Mya..thanks for stopping by...Yes, it does get cold in the desert from about Dec thru March. We live at about 3,000 feet elevation which is considered high desert and so after Christmas it very easily can get down to freezing at night...though not a hard freeze. When friends come to visit us from back East etc. they never bring jackets...they always say "Gee, I never thought it got cold in Arizona"...You must come and visit one day...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Enjoyed your sailing story! We were blessed to spend 5 nights on a private catamaran in the Caribbean with 3 other couples in 2006. My husband won the trip at work. It was truly a trip to remember! I'd go again tomorrow (as long as there weren't any hurricanes out there)!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What fun!! I love the water... I dont care if I am out in it.. its running in a fountain or a bathtub... I love it! A matter of fact one of my favorite vacation spots is called Houseboats 4 two in Wa. I love your daughters shoes!

    My partner was Debbie and I posted her ATC on Saturday. I also posted my entry for the ATC Holder Challenge last night if you would like to take a peek at them you can at http://scrappingwithsherry.blogspot.com/


    Hope to see you there! Sherry

    PS. Dont forget to vote for Blissfull's ATC Holder Challenge...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your daughter is beautiful. Sailing looks like it was so peaceful that day!!

    I love your ATC Gift also. Have a great weekend~Terrie

    ReplyDelete