Monday, April 19, 2010

Nana Mouskouri "Only Love"



Well, actually neither one on these is Nana, she's next...this photo was the National Geographic's photo of the day for July 25, 2009. I thought it fitting.

.....................................................................................


About twenty years ago my husband came home and asked me if I had heard of Nana Mouskouri (MOOS-hoo-ree). I had not, but after listening to his many favorable comments, I purchased her album Only Love: The Best Of Nana Mouskouri. The lead song "Only Love" was the theme song to the BBC TV series Minstral's Daughter, based on a novel by Judith Krantz. Her voice is beautiful and crystal clear.

Nana, the girl with the big black glasses, born on the island of Crete in 1934, and raised in Athens, Greece, was already an international star. She is one of the biggest-selling female artists of all time with about 300 million records sold. She is fluent in many languages and has recorded music for international markets. She loves music, most all kinds of music, and has performed jazz standards, pop tunes, religious music including spirituals and gospel songs, folk songs, songs of the French Cabaret genre, theme songs of TV and screen, classical and operatic selections. Her list of awards is numerable. Some how Nana found time to be the spokesperson for UNICEF in 1993, and gained election to the European Parliament as a Greek representative for about five years.

On July 23, 2008, Nana gave a final Farewell Concert in the ancient Herodes Atticus Theatre in Athens, Greece. The stadium was packed and in attendance were the prime minister of Greece, the mayors of Athens, Berlin, Paris and Luxembourg, along with her fans from not only Greece but from all over the world.






Only Love

Only love can make a memory.
Only love can make a moment last.
You were there and all the world was young
and all it's songs unsung.
and I remember you then, when love was all,
all you were living for,
and how you gave that love to me.
Only then I felt my heart was free.
I was part of you and you were all of me.

Warm were the days and the nights
of those years.
Painted in colors to outshine the sun.
All of the words and the dreams
and the tears live in my remembrance.

Only love can make a memory.
Only love can make a moment last.
Life was new, there was a rage to live,
each day a page to live,
and I remember you then,
when love was all, all you were living for
and how you gave that love to me
Only then I knew my heart was free.
I was part of you and you were all of me.

6 comments:

  1. Quite lovely....have a wonderful weekend, xv.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do hope you will come and share this song with me this week Mya! My Mother and Father both have Nana Mouskouri vinyl records! My mum will love this!

    Hope you have been well.

    Best wishes for a beautiful week,
    Natasha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed this song and the lovely voice of this artist I have never heard of. Thanks for introducing her to me.

    I appreciate your kind comment on my blog about my dear friend Jenny. I know you are treasuring every day with your mom. What a gift!

    Love your blog title too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Only Love - Nana Mouskouri in Holland 2006..
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b12nZws0DkI

    ReplyDelete